Subject: Re: [boost] LLVM license compatibility with BSL
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-27 16:05:55

vicente.botet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have found quite useful to adapt the test for llvm/libc++ ratio/chrono to test Boost.Ratio and
> Boost.Chrono. But Anthony has signaled me that maybe there is a compatibility problem with the
> license included in these files.
>
> //===----------------------------------------------------------------------===//
> //
> // The LLVM Compiler Infrastructure
> //
> // This file is distributed under the University of Illinois Open Source
> // License. See LICENSE.TXT for details.
> //
>
> Is the LLVM License (http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#license) compatible with the Boost
> Software License?

I think the right question is whether that license meets Boost requirements on license. To
the best of my knowledge, there's no requirement that Boost compoments use BSL.

It appears that this Boost requirement:

        Must not require that the license appear with executables or other binary uses of the
          library.

directly contradicts LLVM's license.

- Volodya