Subject: Re: [boost] [guidelines] why template errors suck
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-27 20:17:04

At Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:27:36 +0100,
John Bytheway wrote:

> On 27/09/10 17:56, David Abrahams wrote:
> > P.S. I'm not claiming concepts can't be described via valid
> > expressions; I'm claiming it's the wrong approach, for reasons that
> > should become evident to anyone who *actually does the exercise*.
>
> I did do the exercise, so SPOILERS ahead for those who have not.
>
> I'm still not sure what your point is. I conjecture that the issue to
> which you were trying to draw attention was something to do with
> operator! and bool conversions.
>
> In particular I note that the libstdc++ implementation of find_if uses
> !bool(__pred(*__first)) rather than simply !__pred(*__first), which
> suggests this distinction is (at least potentially) important in
> practice.

Good! You're in exactly the right neighborhood. And depending on the
valid expressions you came up with for constraints, there may be
more problems of exactly that nature in that algorithm. I can't see
your work, so I don't know.

> Presumably the concept modelled by the predicate merely
> asserts that its return type is convertible to bool (certainly that's
> all I had in mind), and in principle !__pred(*__first) is undefined
> behaviour with respect to the concept.

"Undefined behavior" isn't quite the right word; the concept
constraint would prevent the template body from compiling.

> Is your point that an archetype based on valid expressions would
> fail to detect the flaw in the naive implementation of find_if, but
> that an archetype based on member definitions would catch it?

[Those things you're calling member definitions are actually called
pseudo-signatures. They don't (only) define members.]

Well, no. The flaw isn't in the implementation of find_if; it's in
the actual concept requirements imposed by the "valid expression" form
of the concept definition. Any concept mechanism that doesn't allow
you to write a straightforward find_if is broken.

My point is that using valid expressions makes it hard, if not
impossible, to write a clean implementation of even the most
elementary algorithms. (IIRC they also make it really easy to fail to
satisfy those requirements in baffling ways, but I can't come up with
an example offhand). They also tend to gloss over associated types
that you eventually want.

I wish I could call forth all the clear insights about this that I had
when we were fighting the concepts battles. I'll let you know if
anything comes back to me.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing