Subject: Re: [boost] [guidelines] why template errors suck
From: Smith, Jacob N (jacob.n.smith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-29 18:00:35

Let us just assume Proto only has binary plus and terminals. Adding in the other operators is more of the same.

concept Proto<typename T> { } // trivial

concept ProtoBinaryPlus<typename L, typename R>
{
  requires Proto<L> && Proto<R>;
  Proto result_type;

  result_type operator+ (L, R);
}

> This makes ProtoExpr's totally general, as they are today. Now, third
> party code can use ProtoExpr to constrain their templates...
>
> template<ProtoExpr A, ProtoExpr B>
> void add_expressions(A const &a, B const &b)
> {
> a + b; // OK
> }

The general case function add_expressions as provided by Proto (which would capture any type that satisfies the requirements) is:

template <Proto L, Proto R>
  requires ProtoBinaryPlus<L, R>
void add_expressions(L const& l, R const& r)
{
  a + b; // ok; general case
}

> But when type-checking this template, all we know about a+b is that it
> is a ProtoExpr. If we want to sum_ints, for instance:
>
> template<ProtoExpr A, ProtoExpr B>
> void add_expressions(A const &a, B const &b)
> {
> sum_ints( a + b ); // ERROR: a+b is not IntValued
> }

This is the user's specialization of the Proto library; it is just *one* way of specifying the constraints on the expression. The set of constraints on the following code is a refinement of the general Proto "add_expressions" function.

template <Proto L, Proto R>
  requires ProtoBinaryPlus<L, R> && IntVal<L> && IntVal<R>
void add_expressions(L const& l, R const& r)
{
  sum_ints( a + b ); // ok; specialization added by the user
}

Perhaps I don't really understand your problem well enough? I'm assuming the first "add_expressions" function is the general function that Proto provides. The second "add_expressions" function is a user-defined functions.