Subject: [boost] [config] additions for gcc 4.0.1 and IBM V11.1.0.0duetoMSM compile errors
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 14:39:28

John Maddock wrote:
> The updated test is passing as well, looks like this may be a case of adding
> a BOOST_WORKAROUND for Apple's GCC and see if it fixes things.

I added some #if for Apple's gcc and the IBM compiler. A look at the
regression tests
(http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/msm.html)
shows:
- all problems with Apple's gcc 4.0.1 are gone (waow cool! Better than expected)
- IBM's compiler manages a few test cases more (for others, it just
crashes or gives a run-time error status 139 which does not bring me
much further)

This is in my eyes a proof that for these compilers,
BOOST_NO_NESTED_FRIENDSHIP and BOOST_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATE_FRIENDS should
be defined. If these features only work sometimes, then they should
not be seen as supported.
We now have 2 possibilities:
- we change boost.config to reflect this situation and I update my
code accordingly
- we don't and I have to keep my #if.

Solution 2 is not great for me because I'm duplicating boost.config
and it litters my code with stuff less clear than
BOOST_NO_NESTED_FRIENDSHIP and BOOST_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATE_FRIENDS.
In any case, it'd be good if we could decide on it this week on it so
that this makes it to the 1.45.

Thanks,
Christophe