Subject: Re: [boost] Differences between Boost.Thread and std?
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-05 18:03:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
To: "Anthony Williams" <anthony.ajw_at_[hidden]>; "boost" <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:10 AM

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a document somewhere describing the differences between
> Boost.Thread and what's being proposed for C++0x?

I'm not aware of such a document. I have proposed to Anthony and Ion a plan to make Boost.Thread and Boost.Interprocess(sync part) more uniform and closer to the proposed C++0x. I gues we will get it once Boost.Chrono and Boost.Move are included into Boost.

The following doesn't pretend to be exhaustive, but expect would give you a good idea.

Additions of Boost.Thread
* thread interruption
* Shared mutexes and locks
* Thread groups
* lock and try_lock applied to range of Mutexes
* thread_specific_ptr
* future callbacks

Missing or different in Boost.Thread:
* system_error exceptions versus specific Boost::Thread exception
* even if Boost Thread provides move semantics, it should be great to use Boost.Move in a uniform way.
* use of chrono interface versus ptime
* cv_status
* std::atomic_future/std::shared_future versus boost:future
* thread_local

Stefan Strasser proposed a static_thread_specific_ptr class that should be a closer emmulation of thread local storage than boost::thread_specific_ptr.

Best,
Vicente