Subject: Re: [boost] construe_cast, call for interest and feedback
From: PB (newbarker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-09 08:42:57

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Jeroen Habraken <vexocide_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm proud to say I've tagged a version 0.2 of construe_cast some
> minutes ago. For those unfamiliar with the library (it's the first
> time I'm posting this to the boost mailinglist), it's a library which
> builds upon boost.spirit to create a cast-like operator aiming to
> provide an alternative to lexical_cast providing greater speed and
> flexibility.

Rather than introducing another casting method, could lexical_cast be
reworked internally to build upon Spirit? That way previous
investments in lexical_cast will just work faster with no changes,
Also, I won't need to stop and think which one I should be using.

The other comment I have is about compilation times with Spirit. Would
a client of construe_cast be pulling in the Spirit headers? If so, my
compiler (VC9/VS2008) would take a lot longer to build the compilation
unit. I don't mind this overhead for source files that are using
Spriit to do non-trivial parsing, but for casts to/from ints and
strings which are very common, I wouldn't want to wait for such long
compiles.

Regards,

Pete