Subject: Re: [boost] Accelerating algorithms with SIMD - Segmented iterators and alternatives
From: joel falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-12 13:40:26

On 12/10/10 19:03, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> Both are expendable. Compile time goes to developer productivity. If the developer is more productive he will be able to either write more functionality or better optimize the runtime performance of the same functionality with better algorithms/finer tuning. Before dismissing JIT perhaps you should do some benchmark comparisons?

We did, and we won the benchmarks.
> There is a pretty big difference between parsing syntax to an expression template and doing minor operations on the expression and implementing constant propigation and dead code elimination. I know proto can help with the former, but I'm not to keen on using it for the latter. I'm pretty sure we can optimize across expressions at runtime, while we can only optimize within expressions at compile time with template meta-programming. You're cutting off quite a bit of optimization opportunity by limiting the scope of optimizations to the expression level.

Stop, you're trying to shoe orn too much where it should not. We use ET
and proto to generate a fine layer of small code fragment o be compiled
int he correct sequenec, using proper intrinsic and what not. Then , all
lowlevel compilation is handled by the compiler.

Give back to Casear ...