Subject: Re: [boost] Metaprogrammers, all of you!
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-12 22:10:52

At Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:40:38 -0500,
Andrew Sutton wrote:

> > I find it interesting, but also a bit sad, that the thread on
> > metaprogramming “plumbing” is very active, while this fundamental
> > question of abstraction and generic programming has gone unaddressed.
> >

> ... Says the guy who, quite literally, wrote the book on metaprogramming :)
> Sorry.

The irony is not lost on me. But I fear I've created a monster :(

> Is it possible to distill a succinct phrasing of question being
> posed? I think I'm having trouble reading it through the reply
> markers. I think I get the basic gist, but I'm not sure my
> understanding is complete enough to generate an opinion. Maybe it
> would make a nice article for C++Next.

The question has to do with what kind of abstraction should be used to
expose element access in segmented structures. This short and very
readable 1998 paper explains the problem space and offers one
approach: http://lafstern.org/matt/segmented.pdf

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing