Subject: Re: [boost] boost.foreach overhead
From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-17 17:23:32

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Scott McMurray <me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> If he says "steps", I figure he must mean in a debugger. Since
> performance in generic C++ code relies heavily on inlining, I'm not
> surprised it's high as the number is mostly meaningless.

Exactly. I wouldn't worry about how long it takes to step through in a
debugger unless that's something that is severely impacting your
development.

He did say one thing that hurts though:
"We do not use boost on internal projects. The experience with external
projects using it has not been positive".

I'd like to here more about this since it seems that many video game
studios, not just id, are like this. Though, to be hones, I'm surprised John
Carmack even uses boost at all. I always heard he was more like Linus...

--
-Matt Calabrese