Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 08:37:55

Alexander Churanov wrote:
> 2010/10/20 Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>:
> > They are definitely not the same. As I stated elsewhere,
> > the user's home directory is equivalent to C:\ on a Windows
> > system. The user shouldn't put "user-generated content"
> > there. It should be in some subdirectory as preferred by the
> > user, which you understood when you wrote "under" in the
> > quoted sentence.
>
> I completely disagree on "C:\". The ${HOME} is user-specific, while
> "C:\" is not.

The latter is nearly true as Windows is only barely multi-user.

> It is not uncommon to put documents (including textual) in different
> subdirectories under ${HOME}. For example, on my machine "lf ~" lists
> "examples" and "tasks" as different directories. To my mind, none of
> them entirely corresponds to "My Documents", but the whole ${HOME}
> does.

My Documents, being at once user specific and not the root directory of a drive maps well to a subdirectory of the user's home directory, not to the home directory itself. Again, it is poor practice to overpopulate one's home directory, just as over-populating C:\ is poor practice; Filesystem should not establish that as a default. The policy should be determined by the client, not by Filesystem as there is no agreement.

> Another argument: some desktop environments place an icon on the
> desktop, which opens ${HOME}. Along with "System" and "Trash" this
> looks very related to default Windows icons.

That there's a button to access one's home directory in no way implies that the home directory must be the default location of user-generated content. Instead, it means the GUI doesn't know what the user might want to view, but that the home directory is the likely starting point for finding it.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]