Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 09:45:16

Alexander Churanov wrote:
> 2010/10/20 Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>:
> > The latter is nearly true as Windows is only barely multi-user.
>
> Robert, this is surprising. What versions of Windows are to your
> opinion not multi-user? I think it is worth to examine XP/Vista/7
> instead of 98/Me, which are dead.

Common knowledge. Windows is a single user system with multi-user functionality overlaid. All users have full access to C:\.

> > it is poor practice to overpopulate one's home directory
>
> I read this for the first time. Could you, please, provide some links?
> The organization of user-generated files in home directory is
> up to the user.

I have no links. I'm sure I could find some if I tried, but this is wisdom passed down from others years past and from my own decades of experience. No directory should be overpopulated, as a rule, because directory searches take increasingly long as the number of files grow (though some filesystems are less hampered than others) and because directory listings become unwieldy to grok visually. The home directory is more important to not over-populate because it is already the location of dot files and all subdirectories leading to other content. Adding user-generated content to the necessary content makes it harder to use as the jump point to all user content, whether user-generated or locally installed applications/libraries.

I hope these points help to convince you that Filesystem should not return $HOME by default. It is better to leave that decision to the client code and a convenience default will encourage use of that default, so it ought not to be a default that leads to poor practice.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]