Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 11:12:51

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 02:44:25PM +0200, Sebastian Redl wrote:
> On 20.10.2010 14:09, Alexander Churanov wrote:
>> Jeff and others,
>>
>> As a user of both Windows and UNIX (FreeBSD), I think that the
>> discussion is overcomplicated. There several things an application
>> needs to know about the directories:
>>
>> 1) Where to put/find user-specific configuration-data.
>> 3) Where to put user-specific caches.
>>
>> For Windows they are:
>>
>> 1) Application Data\Company Name\Product Name in user profile (CSIDL_APPDATA)
>> 3) Application Data\Company Name\Product Name in user profile (CSIDL_APPDATA)
> 3) should be CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA, if available, since CSIDL_APPDATA is
> synced to the server for roaming profiles, which is a bad idea for
> caches.

Excuse me if it's posted before in this massive thread, but Raymond Chen
says it best:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2005/07/01/434647.aspx
<< What's the difference between My Documents and Application Data? >>

As for the whole "C:\ is the user's home directory", that's just
wrong.

First of all, a regular user do not have write access anywhere on C:,
as there's ACLs to Deny it in several places, not to mention that
applications without decent manifests will be virtualized if they try.

Second of all, who says there exists a C: at all?
I've had lots of software break spectacularly when I had my OS on E:.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]