Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] home_directory_path
From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-20 14:53:34

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Christian Holmquist
<c.holmquist_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 20 October 2010 11:42, Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
> Are those people advocating for $HOME on Windows to be anything else than My
> Documents really Windows users? I've been trough development of fixing
> pre-Vista developed applications to work, and the times where one could just
> ignore access rights on Windows is long gone.
> IMO Boost.Filesystem should follow best practices for each supported
> platform, and using C:\ as default user folder or the obscure USERPROFILE is
> IMO not good practice on Windows.

USERPROFILE on my Windows machine points to <root>\Users\<username>.
This is pretty much the only dir by default where my normal user id
has write permission. This is where Documents, Desktop, Favorites,
Appdata user directories are. Is there any reason *not* to use
USERPROFILE on Vista or later?

--
gpd