Subject: Re: [boost] Bidirectional streams/archives - Frames
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-27 18:05:22

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, vicente.botet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The use I have is to implement binary messages that are user through
> protocol stacks. When sending a message, lower layers add usualy headers
> and trailers to payload comming from the upper layer. When receiveing a
> message, lower layers extract its corresponding headers and trailers
> before passing the payload to the upper layer.
>
> I'm thinking in generalizing the stream or archive concept, so we could
> in addition to been able to read from the begining and write at the end,
> been also able to read from the end and write from the begining; a kind
> of bidirectional stream or archive.
>
> I was thinking in namming the concept "frame", as frames are usualy
> composed of header, payload and trailer. Do you have other namming
> sugestion? Could this concept have any interest for Boost?
>
> Please, let me know if there is already someting on Boost or the
> standard library that could help me.

One thing I would suggest reading is
<URL:ftp://ftp.cs.unc.edu/pub/techreports/93-047.pdf>; it describes
several systems for managing messages (with headers and trailers) in
network protocols. Especially, you might want to look at the x-kernel and
its data structures (see section 3.2 of that report) for messages. The
x-kernel's home page is at
<URL:http://www.cs.arizona.edu/projects/xkernel/>; you can get titles of
more detailed papers to search for there.

-- Jeremiah Willcock