Subject: Re: [boost] Bug-fix volunteers: risks, downsides?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-02 20:26:43

At Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:16:37 -0500,
Jim Bell wrote:

> On 1:59 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Jim Bell <Jim_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> Where the most instruction is needed is in building and running the
> >> regression tests in isolation. My method might be a bit unorthodox: hack
> >> run.py, then regression.py, and operate things just like a regression
> >> test, but without uploading data. (More detail later.)
> > That sounds much harder than simply running "bjam" in the library's
> > test/ subdirectory.
> >

> Thanks! That does sound much easier. I didn't see that anywhere in the docs.

That's a cryin' shame. Everyone seems to think they need to generate
HTML, etc. etc. in order to run the tests, when all you need is bjam.
If you use bjam, though, make sure you capture the output somewhere so
you can analyze the errors among all the other output. IDEs and/or
Emacs work really well for this.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing