Subject: [boost] Getting volunteers' changes back to trunk
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-06 09:55:31

Say you have a team of volunteers attacking failed regressions and
tickets. They're creating (hopefully) good trunk patches. They can't
commit to the trunk, but can modify tickets.

If maintainers are active, they could review and incorporate them. But
this increased activity may be more of a strain for them. If maintainers
are MIA, it won't happen.

So we need at least one person to bring these changes back into the
trunk. Changes to libraries they're not familiar with.

What's the best way for the volunteers to signal to these
trunk-authority people to pick up their change?

A Ticket keyword and corresponding report should work. Is there a better
way?

Should we look for a person or two from the volunteers for this role?

A regular schedule (say, twice a week) to run the report and patch would
be good, I think. Trunk regressions need time to bake.

Thoughts?