Subject: Re: [boost] [boost.log] set_open_handler() and set_close_handler() for text_multifile_backend?
From: Jamie Allsop (ja11sop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-09 20:35:51

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 04:57 AM, Jamie Allsop wrote:
>> Jamie Allsop wrote:
>>
>> I think what
>> I really want is some sort of 'id' based file rotation. In that light I
>> suppose I could use the time_based_rotation and supply my own function
>> that rotates based on a changing 'id'. Perhaps this could be generalised
>> in the library to be a 'triggered_rotation' where some of the current
>> implementations happen to be time based?
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Do you need a way to customize the logic of
> detection when to rotate the log file? What is the 'id' then?

I'm saying that you allow a predicate to be specified that determines
when a file rotation occurs for the text_file_backend. You can specify
this predicate on construction (keywords::time_based_rotation) or by
calling set_time_based_rotation(). I'm saying that you obfuscate this
somewhat by calling it 'time_based_rotation' since, from what I can see
it is a simple predicate based rotation. In other words I could supply
any 'trigger' function that would cause a rotation. The name hid the
general capability from me. I'm suggesting you rename this to something
more general like, 'predicate_based_rotation' or 'rotation_trigger' or
'rotation_predicate'. Of course you can go on to show how you provide
some out-of-the-box time based predicates.

In my use case I have a number of test cases (conceptually at least) and
as I move to a new test case (a new test case 'id') I want the results
to be logged to a separate file. I'd therefore want to provide a
predicate that knew when the 'id' changes and cause the file to rotate.
 From what I understand this is pretty easy for me to do using a
time_based_rotation predicate? The name however really should be more
general to reflect more accurately how it can be used.