Subject: [boost] [1.45] REMINDER: Release branch is closed! (was: [1.45.0] Permission to merge trunk to release for (Polygon))
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-11 14:04:29

On 11/11/2010 11:59 AM, Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:
> Eric Niebler wrote:
>> Please don't merge anything to release bug showstopper bug fixes
>> and doc tweaks.
>
> Oops. I merged some bug fixes yesterday and noticed I forgot to add
> a header and merged that today to fix compilation failures that
> showed up in release regressions.

I'm making my I'm-not-happy face right now.

> The schedule said 1.45 was supposed to be released on the 1st, but I
> forgot that we pushed it out for show stopper bug fixes. The
> particular bugs fixed revolve around polygon resizing for general
> polygons being almost completely broken in the 1.44 release.
>
> We have the option of reverting my changes to the release branch or
> keeping them if release regressions pass. I would prefer to get the
> issues with resizing fixed in 1.45 since they have already been
> reported by users of the 1.44 release.

Leave it. Please be check the regression logs and notify us if you see
anything amiss.

This mistake is understandable and all too easy to make. Our process
needs to be improved. It can't rely (as it currently does) on library
maintainers following the developer list for hold-your-horses and
all's-clear messages from the release managers. Suggestions? Can we lock
the release branch? Trac is already smart enough to parse commit
comments for bug numbers and close tickets. Can we make it smarter to
block commits that aren't closing out a showstopper?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing