Subject: Re: [boost] [Guild] Getting volunteers' changes back to trunk
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-12 15:11:01

On 11/12/2010 1:01 PM, David Abrahams wrote:
> At Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:53:34 -0600,
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>>
>> On 11/12/2010 12:32 PM, Jim Bell wrote:
>>> (Rene: Are you saying that library authors should be more involved, or
>>> shouldn't be more burdened?)
>>
>> I'm saying they shouldn't be more burdened. And I'm also saying they
>> should not have the option to be fully burdened.
>
> Hmm, so we dispense with the notion of ownership? That has been a
> foundation of Boost from day 1. Not saying it can't be overturned,
> but that would be a radical change.

Mostly no. The mostly depending on what you consider is owned by an
author. Most the effort we expend on libraries, as a community, is in
ensuring the design, interfaces, and documentation are up to Boost
quality. The implementation of the library is generally less important,
and many times takes considerable time, with considerable feedback from
the community, to get the best implementation. So I think that the
current structure already places a more shared ownership on the
implementation. And we are talking about patches here, not about making
considerable changes to a library.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything