Subject: Re: [boost] [Guild] Getting volunteers' changes back to trunk
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-12 22:33:27

At Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:33:38 -0800,
Robert Ramey wrote:

> > I don't think the volunteers themselves can be authorized to commit to
> > trunk. We need more trusted people to do that.
>
> I would like to clarify this. It's not a question of trust, it's
> more a question realizing that there has to be one person who is
> responsable for the integrity of the whole library. In a larger
> library, many patches and fixes will inadvertantly break something
> else. If you want someone to be responsable, he has has to have the
> authority to control all the changes. If changes go in from more
> than one person - then no one is responsable.

I think I understand what you're driving at, but if what you said were
strictly true, there would be no working partnerships in the world,
right? There is such a thing as shared responsibility. However, it's
true that you probably can't spread it uniformly across the community.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing