Subject: Re: [boost] [Guild] Getting volunteers' changes back to trunk
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-14 12:52:01

On 11/14/2010 8:39 AM, Jim Bell wrote:
> On 1:59 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>> In a larger library, many patches and fixes will inadvertantly
>> break something else.
>
> Absolutely. To that end, a diff of every test matrix with the previous
> one, in some form, would be very useful.

I'm working on a solution to that.. By replacing the whole test report
system. But it's something that's going to take a few months to make it
work :-(

>> If changes go in from more
>> than
>> one person - then no one is responsable.
>>
>> It seems to me that the real problem here is that some libraries are not
>> being
>> maintained well enough. I realize that this is not easy to fix, but you
>> won't
>> make [up] for the lack of a person willing to be responsable for a library by
>> spreading the authority among another group of people.
>
> I disagree. If a person signs onto a ticket, (s)he takes responsibility
> for that ticket for its life, so (s)he'd get pulled into working out
> things cascading from that ticket.

Right.. Also I think having such a Guild will eventually solve the
problem of "some" libraries not being maintained. Eventually Guild
members will become experts at maintaining particular libraries and
could eventually take full ownership of abandoned libraries much better
than having some random person volunteer, as we do now.

Having a fluid Guild work on bugs has the most benefit as far as
balancing control. If a libraries is well maintained, like yours Robert,
then it's unlikely that a Guild member will ever need to get involved.
After all there's no point in trying to fix bugs that will be taken care
of by the owner and expert diligently. Hence, for libraries that are not
well maintained will get more attention and the author will loose more
control by the sheer fact that she is less diligent.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything