Subject: Re: [boost] [netlib] 0.8-beta now available!
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-15 07:55:39

On 11/15/2010 01:04 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> Hi Everyone, advanced apologies for cross-posting.
>
> I've just tagged and uploaded archives of the cpp-netlib 0.8-beta
> which features:
>
> * An asynchronous server template, allowing for server-side
> streaming of data, asynchronous writing and reading facilities for
> server-side handlers, and a thread pool implementation that's
> temporarily using Boost.Asio's io_service for application-specific
> asynchronous handlers to run from.
> * A `ready(...)` wrapper to check for whether an asynchronous
> client's response is ready.
>
> The documentation has also been updated to feature a brand-new
> reference manual detailing the implementation, caveats, and public API
> of the HTTP client and server templates.

It looks interesting on first sight.

I'm wondering why you chose an active object pattern for implementing
asynchronous clients, and not the proactor pattern as enabled by Asio.
If someone wants to open many connections (e.g., a web crawler), one
thread per connection probably isn't the way to go. This issue may be
related to some of my concerns surrounding the current client API, where
I am missing the (non-future) async_ methods.

Wouldn't a name like http++ be covering better what the library does?

Kind regards,

Rutger