Subject: Re: [boost] [netlib] 0.8-beta now available!
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-16 09:13:26

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Stewart, Robert
<Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> >
> > And because it's so interesting, I just committed a set of changes to
> > implement this. It's now on the cpp-netlib master and is going to be
> > part of the 0.8 release on Friday.
>
> I don't know whether you chose auto_ptr or unique_ptr, but in this case you should choose based upon which is less likely to increase application size since both otherwise suffice.  Using unique_ptr for io_service will increase code size unless the client already does the same, but as that is more likely than their using auto_ptr for io_service, at least in the future, using unique_ptr is probably wiser.  (If any standard library implementation were to use a void * implementation to share non-dependent code in unique_ptr, the code size could still be reduced if the client uses unique_ptr but not for io_service.)

My thinking was more guided by what's generally available now. Barring
a Boost.Unique_ptr, I'm sticking with std::auto_ptr in the meantime.
Once a Boost.Unique_ptr is generally distributed with Boost, I'll
switch to that instead. :)

So far all tests seem to be unaffacted -- those that matter pass --
and I'm going to be adding more tests to see if the user-provided
io_service works as expected.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris