Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Formal Review of Proposed Boost.Chrono Library Starts TOMORROW
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-16 15:29:45

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Deakins" <ddeakins_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:31 AM

>> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any problems?
>
> Yes, with VC9 SP1 on Win7. I ran into some minor issues with pieces of
> the ratio library triggering internal compiler errors on VC9, but I was
> able to resolve these. I also noticed that the jam files for the
> regression tests reference test files that did not seem to be included
> in the distribution in the sandbox. Both of these should be easily fixed.

Could you send me the errors and how you solved them?
Could you give me the name of the files. Maybe I missed the commit of these files?

> I also did some testing with VC9 SP1 cross-compiling for Windows CE 5.0.
> I ran into some minor issues (as expected) mainly related to needing
> the combination of GetSystemTime and SystemTimeToFileTime calls instead
> of GetSystemTimeAsFileTime (which the WinCE libraries sadly do not
> supply). Other than this, it functioned well.

I have no access to VC9 SP1 for Windows CE 5.0. Could you send me a the needed modifications?

>> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
>> - reading? In-depth study?
>
> I wouldn't say an in-depth study, but some fairly involved work. We had
> integrated some of the earlier versions of Boost.Chrono into our local
> Boost tree and had made adaptations to Boost.Thread and Boost.Asio to
> make use of the Chrono functionality. The Chrono-based Asio was used in
> some applications that do automated data collection from web pages, and
> Chrono-based Thread and Chrono itself were used within Win32 and WinCE
> applications for automated control systems. Some of the basic Chrono
> components were used for performance timing in tuning of application code.

Glad to hear you find it useful. I hope we will have the oportunity to update the Boost libraries that can make use of Boost.Chrono soon. Let me know if Boost.Stopwatch respond to your performance timing needs.

>> - Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?
>
> Yes, I think Chrono should be accepted into Boost.
>
> Thanks, Vincente, for all your hard work in crafting this into a formal
> library submission, seeing through the restructuring to properly
> partition all the components, and filling in the documentation and testing.

You are welcome. I started this work one year ago after Beman told me he was not interested in submiting it to Boost because some compilers started to provide Chrono as part of its C++0x library. I considered that we needed a C++03 compatible version and I accepted to take the relay. At the begining I though that the library was almost ready, and people started to request me more a more things, so I added this and that until the split of Boost Chrono in some additions to TypeTraits and 3 libraries: Ratio, Chrono and Stopwatch.

I have learn a lot on this walk and I want to thank every people that help me to improve these library.

Thanks for your review,
Vicente