Subject: Re: [boost] [trac] svn.boost.org slow
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-18 17:20:14

On 11/18/2010 11:20 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 12:06 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>> On 11/17/2010 4:53 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> One of the queries even timed
>>> out waiting for svn.boost.org to respond.
>>
>> Which one specifically? I could use it as a test case to measure
>> improvements and investigate why it's slow.
>
> The 1.45 showstoppers query.

On the first try that has a response of 6s plus 1s for the HTML, and 1s
more for the images, CSS and JS. Total at 9.07s. Which is not bad. On
the second try, with a few more things now cached, it takes me 5.06s.
And after a few tries, the lowest it goes is 2.59s. Which is rather
good. Of course if there was some results on the page it would take
longer :-) For example report #1 on first try (most things still cached)
takes me 8.16s. Which is good IMO since it's returning 100 tickets.

>>> I'd say there's still a
>>> problem. Rene, anything you could do would be hugely appreciated. I'm
>>> talking BIG karma in the afterlife. :-)
>>
>> I'd prefer BIG karma in my current life though ;-)
>
> :-)
>
> BTW, I recall someone (Daniel James?) saying that the slow website
> performance has to do with the constant zipping/unzipping of ...
> something. Docs? I can't remember. Could that be related?

I spent this past weekend investigating that after it was brought up
again by the admins. And the result from analyzing the performance data
is that there is no unzipping problem, as far as the test results go. WE
no longer serve docs from ZIPs. One of the fixes I did Monday was to
remove the gzip content compression on Trac pages. That had the effect
of reducing server load enough to speed response times significantly.
The other change was to fix some bad cache items so that they would
actually get client cached.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything