Subject: Re: [boost] Library for configuration file parsing
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 11:46:34

On 10-11-26 4:04 PM, Stephen Nuchia wrote:

>>> From: Denis Shevchenko [mailto:for.dshevchenko_at_[hidden]]
>>> Is there any interest in a library for configuration file parsing?
>
> Having done this once, just before TCL was announced, I won't ever do it
> again. Ousterhout's reasoning is, in my opinion, unassailable.
> Configuration files might as well be written in a full-featured,
> widely-understood embedded scripting language.
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/~ouster/cgi-bin/papers/tcl-usenix.pdf
>
> That would be Python now, right?

I've switched to using Python for configuration files. Among other
things, the main benefit is that it allows the user to do weird crap you
never thought of and never need to think of.

It's good being able to say yes to nearly every request in relation to
configuration files without writing more code :-)

But why stop at configuration files? Application extensions can also be
written in Python.

--
Sohail Somani