Subject: Re: [boost] Library for configuration file parsing
From: Denis Shevchenko (for.dshevchenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-29 10:51:20

On 29.11.2010 18:16, Hal Finkel wrote:
> Do you just mean a kind of parse-time validation framework (where the
> parser checks that an e-mail setting looks like a valid e-mail
> address, etc.)?
Yes.
> That can be useful, but make sure that you can get warnings instead of
> errors (for e-mail this is important).
Hm... But what if user inputs invalid e-mail address by mistake? Why
should this be a warning and not a error?
> path checking is also useful, but failure to exist is not always an
> error, sometimes the application can create a missing directory...
Ops, that's what I do not think (I thought about creating a file, but
not about creating a directory)... Thank you very much.
> In short, the behavior must be customizable.
Thanks, I'll remember this.
> ... the functionality that I think is missing from configuration-file
> parsing libraries is a change-event-based interface to support runtime
> reloading.
Do you mean an "automatic" reparsing in case the configuration file has
been modified? Hm, it's interesting...
> Then when user requests the configuration be reloaded, the library
> only sends change events for those things which have actually changed
> (this requires matching named sections, since the order may have
> changed). I should have the option of reusing the same event loop for
> initial loading as well.
Yes, you are right, this is a good proposal.

Thank you again, Hal. Today is my TODO file clearly increase. :-)

- Denis