Subject: Re: [boost] Sandbox cleanup
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-29 13:31:49

Thomas Klimpel wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> - 'boost' directory, that has assorted headers supposedly meant for
>> future.
>>
>> - 'libs' directory, with various libraries
>
> Both directories are deprecated since a long time. I think it is now the
> time to explicitly send notices to the very few developers that still keep
> using the boost and libs directories. Maybe we could then move the "boost"
> and "libs" directories to an "old" or "deprecated" folder, to really be
> explicit about their status.
>

>> /sandbox
>> /libraries
>> /proposed-lib1
>> /boost
>> /libs
>
> The currently agreed structure
> (<http://www.boost.org/community/sandbox.html>) is
>
> /sandbox
> /proposed-lib1
> /boost
> /libs
>
> If the only reason to change this structure is that a few developers
> failed to follow that structure, this doesn't seem fair to the vast
> majority of developers that tried to follow that structure. Each change of
> structures is potentially confusing for the users of a sandbox library,
> especially if there are already too many different versions of the library
> out there anyway. And it will invalidate links given in archived email
> answers to user questions.

+1

>> /branches
>
> This sounds like a good idea to me.

Well this has the same link problem as moving to the proposed libraries to
/libraries.

I would place here branches of accepted libraries with a big development, to
make clear what is a proposal and what is already accepted.

The Vault could also follow a clean-up, and replace files that have already
been integrated in Boost, as it was done for xpressive, ...

>> Comments?
>
> If we are unhappy with the current situation, I suggest we could change
> the statement "We encourage developers to migrate these projects to the
> project-centric organizational structure." from
> <http://www.boost.org/community/sandbox.html> to something more mandatory.

+1

Best,
Vicente