Subject: Re: [boost] [netlib] Update: 0.9 will not be header-only
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-04 12:59:50

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> On 12/4/2010 12:45 AM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>
>> The biggest culprit at the moment has been the implementation of the
>> URI parser that uses Boost.Spirit Qi and>10 rules in the URI parsing
>> grammar. The URI implementation is really declarative and nicely
>> written (thanks go out to Jeroen Habraken for making that happen).
>> The down-side of this has been the compile times: building the
>> simple HTTP client takes close to one minute on the machine I'm
>> using -- and by moving it to an externally-linked static lib, the
>> compile of the same HTTP client is cut down to 10 seconds. Before
>> you ask if I'm using GCC, the answer is no, I'm using Clang when
>> developing so that I get as much speed as I can when doing the
>> edit-rebuild-test cycle.
>
> Ouch! :P What the compiler giveth, Spirit taketh. It's time we do
> something about it.

Hmmmm - I'm not so sure. I've always found spirit compilation times to
be very, very long. Even it were reduced to just very long they
would be "too long". The real solution is just isolating them into
something that is only compiled once - i.e. a library or DLL. Then
the compilation time is a non-issue.

Robert Ramey