Subject: Re: [boost] $100 reward to get Boost libraries to run in Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-04 13:08:00

Paul Bergen wrote:
> I'm a veteran c++ coder and don't normally resort to such tactics, but
> I'm desperate. I've got a looming deadline to finish a big task and
> need to wrap up a minor utility that's less than 1% of the project but
> is consuming all my time because it uses boost for socket i/o, but I
> can't get the boost itself to work on windows 7 with vs2008ee, and
> it's blocking me from getting my core projects complete. The same
> code works fine on someone else's windows vista PC with vs2010, and
> under Linux. Given how popular boost is I can't believe it's simply
> that boost doesn't run on Windows 7. So, before I go out and buy
> another PC with Vista, I figured I'd offer a bit of cash for a Boost
> guru to VNC into my PC and look at it.

You should look to boostpro consulting. I'm sure they can fix you
up in no time. Note that I have no commertial interest or connection
(or even any real affection for) boostpro consulting. I just think
that this would be a good investment of your companies money
to get over this hump.

This is an common problem which has nothing to do with C++
programming pe se but rather combining all the tools to get
what we want. I admit these kinds of problems are just about
the only things on earth that make me feel really dumb (other
than MS Word and PowerPoint). Solving them is just a question
of finding the hidden unintended side effect of something which
would/should be entirely unrelated. I'm really sympathetic.

Robert Ramey