Subject: [boost] Workaround for compiler bugs
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-06 09:06:19

In attempting to write a library for Boost I have sometimes run into a
given compiler's bug which prevents my work succeeding for a given
compiler without a workaround. While I can, and have, gone to a
compiler's NG or online forum to report the bug, and hopefully find a
workaround, given the nature and difficulty of template metaprogramming
there have often been no adequate responses. Of course I have worked to
find a workaround on my own, but sometimes I can not find the "magic
incantation" <g> to do so, while in other cases I can.

Is this a valid NG for bringing such a compiler bug to light so that
other Boost developers are not only aware of the bug but might have a
solution, if they have not already developed one for themselevs ?

Sometimes the bug peripherally involves some Boost library but often the
bug just involves some sort of template, or template metaprogramming,
construct which a particular compiler just can not handle correctly. In
all cases the bug would have to do with some Boost-like library I am
working on, preferably in the sandbox, else I would not feel justified
in bringing up this issue in a Boost developer NG.