Subject: Re: [boost] Workaround for compiler bugs
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-06 11:31:01

On 12/6/2010 10:10 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> At Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:06:19 -0500,
> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> In attempting to write a library for Boost I have sometimes run into a
>> given compiler's bug which prevents my work succeeding for a given
>> compiler without a workaround. While I can, and have, gone to a
>> compiler's NG or online forum to report the bug, and hopefully find a
>> workaround, given the nature and difficulty of template
>> metaprogramming there have often been no adequate responses. Of course
>> I have worked to find a workaround on my own, but sometimes I can not
>> find the "magic incantation"<g> to do so, while in other cases I can.
>>
>> Is this a valid NG for bringing such a compiler bug to light so that
>> other Boost developers are not only aware of the bug but might have a
>> solution, if they have not already developed one for themselevs ?
>>
>> Sometimes the bug peripherally involves some Boost library but often
>> the bug just involves some sort of template, or template
>> metaprogramming, construct which a particular compiler just can not
>> handle correctly. In all cases the bug would have to do with some
>> Boost-like library I am working on, preferably in the sandbox, else I
>> would not feel justified in bringing up this issue in a Boost
>> developer NG.
>
> Gray area. I say, if you need help getting over a Boost-related hump,
> ask here. If it gets out of hand, moderators will step in.

OK, understood. I have a possible candidate for a nasty compiler bug in
VC++ concerning an area of C++ templates, but I want to work a little
further on my own to see if I can find a workaround before I bring it up
here. The bug is directly related to a library I have put in the
sandbox, but have not yet announced although I will probably do so as
soon as I get my tests and documentation finished.