Subject: Re: [boost] Half-baked GIL IO extension review
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-06 19:23:37

On 06/12/10 23:10, Edd Dawson wrote:
> 4. Is there support for obtaining the real-world dimensions of a loaded
> raster in millimetres, say? I work on CAD/graphics applications which
> need this functionality in order to generate reasonable texture
> coordinates.

Edd,

I'm curious about this one. How do you expect such physical
dimension to be calculated? Do you expect a metadata with physical
resolution provided e.g. written as TIFF tag?

Personally, I'm looking for Boost.GIL in geospatial applications,
but there an extension would need to be provided to manage dedicated
metadata where coordinate system/reference frame/resolution is provided,
so it's possible to deduce physical dimensions.

> I hope this was useful and my lack of general GIL knowledge doesn't
> invalidate too much of my evaluation.

I'm sure your voice is very helpful here and thank you for participating
in the review.

BTW, I know your libraries. I've been enjoying your blog for
quite a while now :-)

Best regards,

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org