Subject: Re: [boost] GIL io_new review
From: Domagoj Saric (domagoj.saric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-10 14:27:22

"Mateusz Loskot" <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>>> 4. Cutting TIFF to PNG involves compression. If we are interested in
>>> raster access, RIO, I/O speed, perhaps we could stick to TIFF as
>>> output format as well. What you think?
>>
>> That depends on what exactly are we trying to test here, the C++
>> wrappers (e.g. io_new vs io2) and/or the backends (e.g. LibTIFF vs WIC)
>> and/or something third...
>
> Actually, that was part of my initial question.

Hi, sorry for the delay...

I went and tested ahead just to see what we are dealing here...

This code http://codepad.org/eGMixUK1 (io2 using the WIC backend,
unfortunately large TIFF support was added only to the latest WIC available
on Windows 7 so the same code will not work on WinXP) opens the input TIFF
and hacks it up into separate tile files.
With an Intel i5_at_4.2 GHz with 4 GB RAM I got the following results:

200x200 PNG tiles ~ 65 seconds
512x512 PNG tiles ~ 69 seconds
512x512 TIFF tiles ~ 27 seconds

RAM usage was below 5 MB the whole time (after working around an apparent
leak in WIC that otherwise cause the RAM usage to crawl up to ~15 MB) and
the binary is about 45kB...

... I guess these tasks are no longer so hard for modern hardware as my work
desktop churns them out pretty fast...

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than