Subject: Re: [boost] GIL io_new review
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-13 13:06:37

On 11/12/10 15:25, Domagoj Saric wrote:

> "Mateusz Loskot" <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Would you mind explaining what you exactly mean as ROI?
>> The abbreviation stands for Region of Interest. This is clear,
>> but what definition of ROI you refer to?
>> I have a feeling there is potential for another confusion here.
>
> Hmm...well I mean simply that, a region of interest....in many contexts
> in the current discussions it is almost synonymous with a
> subimage_view...

OK, this is clear now.

I have met term ROI mostly used to describe a certain coding strategy
where regions which are encoded to higher quality (and stored as such in
a format) than the rest of image. This is common technique used in
JPEG2000 or PGF. This also allows faster decoding and access to
those subimages where each of them is ROI.

> Please feel free to correct me if you think I'm using
> the term in wrong/confusing ways...

I just wanted to confirm that we think of the same writing and
reading the term ROI.

> ps. have you by some chance ran the GDAL test(s)?

Just posted my results as follow-up to yours.

Best regards,

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org