Subject: Re: [boost] [quickbook] error with links when building documentation
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-13 16:34:43

On 13 December 2010 18:13, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> * If you don't give a section a name (the bit after the colon) then it gets
> assigned a random numerical ID, so you won't be able to link easily to the
> section.

As far as I'm aware, if there's no id, it should be generated from the
section title. I think you get random ids when there's no section at
all. If I'm missing an example which could be fixed let me know.

> * You can add explicit link targets, but:
>   * If you add them directly below the title then the title may scroll off
> the top of the page when you jump to that link.
>   * If you add them directly above the title, then the link actually ends up
> on the wrong page altogether!

To avoid confusion, that's only for sections, not for headings.

I'm working on this for sections now, and I found some other bugs in
the anchor implementation (anchors in the middle of paragraphs
currently appear before the paragraph), I meant to deal with this ages
ago but it slipped my mind. The code for the solution's pretty ugly.
Hopefully in the future quickbook will use some sort of intermediate
form which will simplify this kind of thing. I'm keeping an eye on
Spirit's utree which looks like it might be a good basis.

Daniel