Subject: Re: [boost] [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?
From: Maciej Sobczak (prog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-14 05:24:02

Hi,

On 14/12/2010 10:45, Artyom wrote:

>> You're talking about SOCI 3 right?
>>
>> I don't see how using the git version would be a problem though.
>
> As long as you use it on your own and not have to recommend SQL
> library for customers. Also git-version tends to break once in a while.

Please note that your argument about release schedule of the SOCI
library is very transient by nature. It will become out of date with the
next release of SOCI (whenever it happens).

>> Sure, but how does your interface look like? The good thing with SOCI
>> is that the interface is nice and easy to deal with.

> Also unlike SOCI it allows both verbose API and syntactic sugar:

SOCI does support several interfacing styles:

http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/interfaces.html

> Depending on what do you prefer.

> There is just a big fobia of everithing connected to a stuff that includes
> 3 letters "GPL"

Yes. But you have to address it and if you try to do it by "educating"
everybody on this matter, then you will only alienate yourself.
You have to bend to user expectations. Bending user expectations to fit
your product is possible only if the product has no competition in its
niche, which is not the case here.

>> That said, others might (like me) not touch your code or even look at
>> it because it's under the LGPL,
>
> I would say - their loss.

You still have to prove it. :-)

> In any case, if it comes to Boost it would be BSL licensed.

You got it backwards. It must be BSL to attract attention on this list,
not the other way round.

Cheers,

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com