Subject: Re: [boost] [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-15 01:58:26

>Hi,
>I will only refer to complain on the slow SOCI release schedule.
>So, instead of deciding to join an existing project, which N.B. you have used
>with some degree of success, and help
>to speed its release process, help with fixing bugs and propose to add features

>you are missing, you decide to fork it, tweak it and release it.

CppDB is not a fork of SOCI, it is totally different library that does
things very differently that does not share a single line of code with SOCI.

I admit that I had took many general ideas from SOCI and
made them more suitable for my vision how SQL library should look,
and this is very logical since SOCI was the best SQL library I used
so far (till CppDB was released :-) ).

And as you know (and you are as you on soci's mailing list) that
I still do my small contributions to SOCI - each time I find some
issue I try to fix it, report it and even send a patch.

As FOSS project developer and leader I know how valuable it is.

Now I'll explain the decision more deeply:

I was considering join the SOCI project
and bring some improvements, however my vision of how the
stuff should work and SOCI's vision was quite different,
and the internal structure of the SOCI project
and class relationships did bringing new and significant
features to SOCI was not as simple as I was thinking.

So basically I had two options:

1. Fork SOCI and rewrite it - very bad idea, for several reasons:

   a. forking is bad!
   b. it still requires from me rewriting its internals
   c. I'm still not pleased with imlementation level of SOCI's
      sqlite3 and mysql backends.

2. Push new things to SOCI fighting to explain my vision
   of things, missing some of them and finally not getting
   what I need.

3. Create my own library that provides the vision I need.

So I had chousen the 3rd.

However I had **another** reason to do this as well.

As you probably know I'm developer of CppCMS framework,
and I need a good database connectivity solution for my customers,
and what is most important I need it to be stable, useable
with fast upstream bug fixes, optimized for
performance and I need it **now**.

SOCI couldn't do this for me, as it is still stuck
in version 3.0.0 released in 2008 with no bug fixes.
And I can't say to my customers - take a git version
of SOCI it is very nice (that 9 hours ago was broken
and probably still broken now - I've send a patch
to SOCI's list)

So beleive me I do like soci, I think it is great
project but, it does not suit my and my customers
needs.

And for the last record, I still mention SOCI
as one of the libraries that can be sucessefully
used with CppCMS:

  http://art-blog.no-ip.info/wikipp/en/page/sql_connectivity

>This is not how FOSS works to make a project healthy and sustainale in long
>term. Your observable disappointment about
>
>software here makes me asking, what's next? Boost libraries forked?
>
>Anyways, I'm just disappointed how much FOSS is ego-driven
>where it should mean collaboration. Just pity.

Mateusz,

as I explained above it is not about the ego,
even thou there are many things I can be proud of.
It is about having a solution.

Beleive me I prefer spending my time of fixing bugs
and providing new features in CppCMS then writing
an SQL library.

Best Regards and I hope your undersand the resasons I had.

  Artyom