Subject: Re: [boost] [OT] Open Source Forking and Boost (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-15 06:45:03

On 15/12/10 02:20, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Mateusz Loskot<mateusz_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>> Hi, I will only refer to complain on the slow SOCI release
>> schedule. So, instead of deciding to join an existing project,
>> which N.B. you have used with some degree of success, and help to
>> speed its release process, help with fixing bugs and propose to
>> add features you are missing, you decide to fork it, tweak it and
>> release it.
>
> I'm not sure but is CppDB a fork of SOCI?

It is not a direct fork of code.
I believe I explained it in my reply to Artyom's post.

>> This is not how FOSS works to make a project healthy and
>> sustainale in long term. Your observable disappointment about
>> software here makes me asking, what's next? Boost libraries
>> forked?
>
> Well... actually... forks are a valid means of diversification in
> FOSS projects.

Technically and formally valid, but not necessarily valid in terms of
sustainability. Thinking in terms of r/K selection theory, which one
would be better for FOSS (assuming no funds).

> About Boost Libraries being forked, I don't think that's inherently a
> bad idea -- especially since there's already a number of Boost
> libraries that seem "unmaintained".

Forking never solves maintenance problems, but introduces new ones.

> The only issue I see with forking Boost libraries at this time is the
> infrastructure used to host the code; SVN wasn't meant to encourage
> forking compared to say how Git or Mercurial allow forking to be as
> trivial as branching and merging. I'll leave my comment on SVN at
> that at risk of inciting the SCM debate yet again. ;)

Forking projects is not the same as forking in Git (like at github).
Forking a project is similar to this story:
Caesar of Rome says: this city stinks, is dirty, unhealthy, it sucks.
let's leave it and make new Rome v2 in south-west.

I joined this thread because I could not understand the sociological
aspect of this decision. Perhaps it's me and nowadays more folks
consider it easier to quit a job than to work out a compromise :-)
I honestly wish Artyom good luck.

Best regards,

Member of ACCU, http://accu.org