Subject: Re: [boost] [OT] Open Source Forking and Boost (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Bruce Adams (tortoise_74_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-16 06:04:41

----- Original Message ----

I really shouldn't get involved in this but...
You need to move away from the idea of code ownership, especially
in the context of a community project.
In a way it is a nonsense to require permission of the maintainer.
The maintainer is more like a moderator that an owner.
In a professional context if someone does not have time to work on
a piece of code or leaves the company then whoever needs to make
a change to it makes it. Its better to be more agile still and say its always
the person who needs to make the change that makes it.
The maintainers role is review and accept or reject patches.
If the maintainer disappears then the responsibility for review falls to the
wider community
looking out for and or using that package.
With something like boost with strong review processes that should be relatively

straight forward.
For other projects, if the source code repository is inaccessible or your change
is
rejected but you believe strongly it should be included and cannot persaude
anyone
even after review then you can fork but you'll have to take the hit of doing all
that
maintenance work yourself if you want anyone else but yourself or your team to
use your project.

Regards,

Bruce.