Subject: Re: [boost] [OT] Open Source Forking and Boost (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-16 06:46:32

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I just wish more people stepped up to do the same for other popular
>> libraries that get used but aren't actively maintained. Note that my
>> definition of actively maintained has something to do with the amount
>> of unresolved issues over time on Trac.
>
> OK, lets get specific... care to name names?

Ha! :D I knew this was coming at some point in this discussion.

I don't know the names of all the maintainers, but the thing I can do
is point out some libraries that need some of the love. From the top
of my head, there are a number of patches that I've submitted already,
which haven't quite made it to any Boost release as far as I know
(some of which have been dated to like a year or so already). These
libraries I see are:

- Boost.Pool
- Boost.Optional

I think there were some patches that I saw in Boost.Array (not by me)
that have already been applied and that's largely because Marshall has
done a good job going over the tickets on that library.

I remember Boost.Circular_buffer and some other patches to
Boost.Serialization that I sent in a while ago to address some issues
but haven't been cleared. I know someone has been responding to
questions on Boost.Circular_buffer recently so that may have changed.
Boost.Serialization I know is a big piece of code and has other issues
that may be considered more critical than the ones I've tried to
address (recently and in the past).

> How about providing
> patches/fixes for unresolved issues?

I do my best when time permits. ;)

> If it looks like you're doing a good
> enough job with those, I would expect you to be "volunteered" to take over
> anyway ;-)

Yeah, in which case I don't think *I'm* doing enough in that front. :)

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com