Subject: Re: [boost] [Config] Macro for C++0x range-based for
From: Michel MORIN (mimomorin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-17 11:35:15

Sebastian Redl wrote:
>> C++0x range-based for is available on GCC 4.6 (Pre-release).
>> There is no BOOST_NO_RANGE_BASED_FOR macro,
>> so I made a patch against trunk and made a test case. Please see
>> attached files.
>> Is it reasonable to add this macro?
>
> I don't think there's really a point, unless you want Boost's users to use
> the config macros. Range-based for is a convenience functionality, not an
> enabling functionality. In other words, if you can't use it all the time,
> but have to write the long form anyway, what's the point in using it?

Range-based for conflicts with many Boost libraries.
This issue can be resolved by fixing boost/range/begin.hpp and
boost/range/end.hpp,
which needs BOOST_NO_RANGE_BASED_FOR macro.

Yeah, we can always use BOOST_FOREACH instead of range-based for.
And considering portability, BOOST_FOREACH is a must.
But IMHO it's a pity that users of the Boost libraries are recommended
not to use a language feature.

Regards,
Michel