Subject: Re: [boost] Interval Trees & ICL
From: Bruce Adams (tortoise_74_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-17 12:39:02

----- Original Message ----

 The
> > idea is that you bitwise-interleave the two values and use this as the key.
> > You can then iterate over all points in a rectangle by iterating over all
> > points in the 1D range between the interleaved bottom left and top right
> > corner values.
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I find your idea quite nifty and fascinating. The transformation from
> intervals to 2D plane to z-curve ordering is quite powerful and opens
> up new frames of thinking on the problem. I guess I need a little more
> thinking time and intend to post another answer tomorrow.
>
> Best regards,
> Joachim
>
> --
> Interval Container Library [Boost.Icl]
> http://www.joachim-faulhaber.de

That is an interesting idea. However, I see the method (or at least some
implementations
of it) are covered by a patent. Presumably that could affect its adoption into
boost?

I'm broadly against software patents but things get hairy if you give the
lawyers a hook

to fish with. Actually digging a bit further it could be that the patent is to
prevent evil lawyers
doing this as the claim is by an academic rather than say Oracle (unless he
works for Oracle!)
Looks like enough of it is prior art that something could be used.

I note that the current interval containers could also be considered / are
implemented as
adapters fitting over sets or maps so this would be a good fit. It might thus
be quicker to integrate.

Regards,

Bruce.