Subject: Re: [boost] [Bug Sprint] Policy on MIA maintainers
From: Jim Bell (Jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-18 11:39:34

On 1:59 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Jim Bell <Jim_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> I'll take this up at a later time.
>> It's a later time. ;-)
>>
>> <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2010/11/173547.php>
>>
> Yes, alright. So just to see if I get the context right, a case study
> on what to do with an MIA maintainer is needed.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

But I'm thinking something much less ambitious. (And more measurable.)

How about this question: as of this moment, we have X number of patches
already in Trac. What's the average quality of those patches? (If a
library has diverged from a patch, don't count it, as that's not fair to
the patch.)

See where I'm going? If 97% of existing patches would be accepted, how
much apprehension should you have about the next one? (Or if only 40%...)

Or, if a Boost-trusted developer not intimately familiar with the
library can, in two minutes (or ten? twenty?) determine that the patch
is valid, with 97% accuracy, what would that mean?

And if the patch had to do directly with a regression failure, how would
that change things?