Subject: Re: [boost] Packaging in cross-compiling environment
From: Ben Gamari (bgamari.foss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-27 12:41:21

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:42:15 +0300, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Ben Gamari wrote:
> > but this does not appear to change bjam's
> > behavior at all. When the build process begins, bjam produces this cryptic hint,
> >
> > error: No best alternative for /python_for_extensions
> > next alternative: required properties: <python>2.6 <target-os>linux
> > matched
>
> Please run with --debug-configuration. This should print absolute paths to user-config.jam,
> site-config.jam and project-config.jam that are being loaded. Examine them to make sure
> only your user-config.jam configures Python. Let me know if this hlps.

As I mentioned in later messages, --debug-configuration shows that the
python include path is correctly determined but unfortunately is not
included in the include paths given to the compiler?

Where exactly is are the python include paths incorporated into the
compiler command line? The only reference I can find is in
tools/build/v2/tools/python.jam around line 900 but it's really not at
all clear what happens to usage-requirements after this. Is there any
document describing the inner workings of this build system that someone
only familiar with more traditional build systems (autotools, make)
might understand?

I would really appreciate your input here. At this point I'm pretty lost
and it would be very nice if openembedded (a very widely used
environment in the embedded world) supported a reasonably up-to-date
version of boost (if for no other reason than 1.41 has some very
unfortunate bugs which make boost completely unusable for my
application). Not to mention, I've spent altogether far too much time on
this project to give up to a solvable build system issue.

Thanks,

- Ben