Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions (was Re: [context] new version - support for Win64)
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-27 16:13:42

On 12/27/2010 09:05 PM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>
>> 1. Move Boost away from Subversion and let's use Git instead -- have
>> each library be a separate Git repository, follow the model that Qt
>> and the Linux follow, and have the maintainers develop their libraries
>> at their own pace. Release managers then pull from the different
>> repositories and work along with a team to stabilize a release that is
>> supported as the de-facto Boost release.
> So, instead of having each maintainer merge/push his changes to the
> release branch when he feels like that, you suggest that release managers
> ask maintainers of 70 (or is that 100 already) libraries what revision
> can be pulled to the release?

Actually, I think there are multiple models of using git that can allow
integrators to automate this along with models that allows sharing the
workload among multiple trusted integrators. However, this idea of
pulling changes to integrate is mainly used to allow the release
managers and integrators full control by preventing arbitrary pushes
while they attempt to do work. In some projects and organizations this
is perceived as important. Given a Boost migration to Git and the fact
that Git can be used both with push and pull models, there is really no
need to change current boost policy unless it helps in the release process.

--
Bjørn