Subject: Re: [boost] Respecting a projects toolchain decisions (was Re: [context] new version - support for Win64)
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-28 10:20:48

On 10-12-28 12:30 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> Is a decentralized org and/or process have any advantages over the open
> Guild process we've been discussing?

Sorry if I have not kept up with "open Guild" but it sounds to me like a
key component is one requires permission and the other doesn't.

Over the years, I have accumulated dozens of patches in various places
and while I probably submitted some through Trac, if I could just fork a
repo in an organized manner without asking anyone's permission, I could
keep my patches in one place (irony?) and in sync with some ease. This
benefits Boost because then my patches are not in multiple repositories
behind different corporate firewalls, but somewhere accessible to
others. Not that they are anything spectacular, mind you!

I think you *might* enable more contributions as a benefit of a
decentralized process just based on my experience.

--
Sohail Somani