Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] triggering of a transition on a subclass event does not work on sub state machines in case of favor_compile_time policy is used.
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-02 17:12:35

> Hi All
>
> I have run it to a problem that feature : Event Hierarchy see doc :
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/msm/doc/HTML/ch03s02.html#d0e1108
>
> Does not work in case of sub state machine with favor_compile_time
> policy. No trans get called on the sub state machine even it has a row
> with event type to the event base class.
>
> This now hit me badly because compiler runs out of heap if
> favor_compile_time policy is not used but when it is used I can not
> dispatch based on base type and I have about 150 different event so
> declare a transition for it is a no go.
>
> Is there any workaround for this problem ?.

Hi Richard,

This is a documented limitation of the favor_compile_time policy. See:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/msm/doc/HTML/ch03s05.html#d0e2360.
As written there, The current solution can only any_cast to the exact type.
And no, at the moment, I unfortunately have no solution. I'll see if I
can imagine a workaround.

Regards,
Christophe