Subject: Re: [boost] [local] local functions ready for review
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-03 12:58:32

On 1/3/2011 12:22 PM, Lorenzo Caminiti wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> A few months ago, I probed for interest in a library for local
> functions with Boost.ScopeExit's variable binding. Based on that
> discussion, I have now implemented the Boost.Local library.
>
> I have uploaded the source files boost-local_0_1_0-818.zip in the
> Boost Vault under Function Objects:
> http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Function%20Objects
>
> The documentation on the web:
> http://contractpp.sourceforge.net/boost-local_0_1_0-818/libs/local/doc/html/index.html
>
> Any comment?

I can understand the potential usefulness of local functions and local
exits, but it seems local blocks serve little purpose, other than an
easier syntactical notice, because it is a macro, over a simple block
using { } which can also of course access variables in the enclosing
scope. I do see where one can bind variables in local blocks in a few
ways but that seems to offer little over just normal C++ blocks.

Nonetheless your library seems interesting. Would you consider putting
it in the sandbox also ( or instead ) ? That way, when and if you need
to update it, others can pick up the updates via SVN.

> As far as I can tell, Boost.Local is ready for a formal review so I am
> looking for a review manager. Any volunteer?

I can understand your being eager for a review, but shouldn't you let
interested parties use it first for a short period of time ?