Subject: Re: [boost] [system][chrono] header-only libs
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-06 16:22:01

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Stewart, Robert <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> Vicente Botet's header-only option for Boost.System is mostly working,
>> and will be ready to commit to trunk soon.
>
> Cool

+1

>> One question I'd like feedback on. The proposed macro that enables
>> header-only configuration is BOOST_SYSTEM_INLINED, but
>> BOOST_SYSTEM_HEADER_ONLY seems clearer to me.
>
> "HEADER_ONLY" is clearer.

+1

> Given that most Boost libraries are header only, it seems as if those that provide an option to deviate from that norm, should do so explicitly.  Thus, the name and behavior should be reversed:  BOOST_XXXXX_AS_LIBRARY.

Right, but unfortunately for Boost.System's case, the default usage
has been as a library, therefore an option should be explicitly turned
on to deviate from its default distribution/usage scenario.

Although it is possible to turn on BOOST_XXX_AS_LIBRARY by default in
libraries that do distribute themselves as linked-in libraries and
just have an option to turn it off at compile-time (which is actually
tricky to do at best), maybe providing the BOOST_XXX_AS_LIBRARY for
libraries that were once header-only to become
externally-built-and-linked-in would make a better choice.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris
about.me/deanberris